Fines for not reporting tonnages

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online


August 30, 2016:
Did you know there is a $5,000 fine for not reporting your tonnage to the Institute for Water Resources?
Please find a letter I received detailing the fines here.
It states, "that owners, agents, master, and clerks of vessels and other craft plying upon the navigable waters of the United States, and all individuals and corporations engaged in transporting their own goods upon the navigable waters of the United States shall furnish such statements relative to vessels, passengers, freight, and tonnage as may be required by the Secretary of the Army..."
It further reads, "All information and data sent... is required to be held in confidence and will not be released outside of the federal government in order to maintain the confidentiality of proprietary information" Failure to provide statements required are subject to the following penalties:
  • For each and every offense, a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment not exceeding two months.
  • A civil penalty of up to $2,500 per violation.
  • Denial of passage through locks and canals.
If you are unsure if you should be reporting, I would like to share with you the below information IRPT published in February of 2015. I encourage you to take a look at the ENG forms as well.
IRPT Members can log on to their account to view the tonnage reporting webinar using the drop-down box.
If you are still unsure whether you should be reporting, you can contact me directly or of course, contact the Waterborne Commerce Statistics Center at (504) 862-1414.
Aimee Andres
Executive Director
Inland Rivers, Ports and Terminals, Inc.
One Confluence Way
East Alton, IL 62024
Phone (618) 468-3010
Rediscover the strength of America’s Inland Rivers
On February 11th, 2015:
Good afternoon,
If you missed the January webinar for tonnage reporting, Inland Rivers, Ports and Terminals will host a second webinar on Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm central time. 
  • Do you own a barge?
  • Do you lease a barge?
  • Do you dredge materials either for channel maintenance or mining purposes?
If you answered yes to any of the above, are you reporting accurately?
The tonnages are required to be reported by the shipper via vessel operation reports (VORs). There are 4 ENG Forms available for monthly reporting.
  • ENG 3925:  Statement of Freight and Passengers Carried, submitted principally by operators of deep-draft vessels.
  • ENG 3925B:  Optional Form for Use by inland and intracoastal operators in lieu of ENG Form 3925.
  • ENG 3925C:  For reporting movements of CONTAINERIZED CARGO
  • ENG 3925P:  Optional form for use by passenger vessel operators in lieu of ENG Form 3925 for reporting movements of passengers
In addition, terminal operators can voluntarily submit dock receipts via ENG 3926.
Please join us for a free webinar regarding tonnage reporting on the inland waterways.
The Waterborne Commerce Statistics Center, a division of the Army Corps of Engineers will outline the specifics of who, what , where, when and why of reporting tonnages shipped on the inland waterways.

No comments:

Post a Comment